For this week, to see just how comics have developed today, I decided to check out the webcomics Out of Skin by Emily Carroll and Trash Mountain by Kelton Sears. I'm not usually one to read webcomics but some of them, like the ones I picked, have a very clever way of telling their stories. When scrolling down, some of them are very creative with their transitions and formatting. Trash Mountain , even though the drawings admittedly are god-awful, has a pretty unique style going for it. Almost every panel in the webcomic is a GIF and combines MS-paint quality character drawings with looped realistic backgrounds/video footage. It almost feels as if Sears is drawing on a movie. He also uses collage techniques, taking realistic photographs and adding them as textures to objects and environments in the story. However, before i knew it, the comic was getting way more bizarre the more I started to scroll down. If I'm being completely honest, i had no idea what was going on. I u...
I started to read This One Summer in class, but I never got to finish it. I finally had the chance to do so this week, and it was a pretty entertaining read overall. The drawings are absolutely gorgeous and reminded me of certain ink wash and gouache Photoshop brushes that I really love painting/drawing with. To describe the style of this graphic novel the best I can, it would be if Studio Ghibli movies were crossed over with a CalArts film and then turned into a black and white comic book. It's very appealing regardless. This story reminds me a lot of those modern, awkward teen, coming of age movies like Eighth Grade, Booksmart, and Lady Bird. Not that it's a bad thing, it's just that I feel like I've seen and heard this story about a million times. But its interesting seeing how the main characters in this story start to take a grasp of what adulthood looks like by taking interest in the conversations/experiences of their parents and the teenagers of the village. ...
Comments
Post a Comment